Suggestions and Guidelines for choosing services
Altogether Autism strongly recommends that you question contacts about their ASD experience and relevant qualifications before taking things further.
Some helpful areas to cover include:
- Professional qualifications
- Membership of professional bodies (certification, accreditation, registration)
- Training and/or experience in ASD
- Length of time providing this service
When discussing specific interventions:
- Ask specific questions about the treatment goals, components, style, target group, outcomes, effectiveness, negative effects, safeguards, and therapist experience, qualifications and professionalism
- Be hopeful, but conservative, about any new treatment where the effectiveness of the treatment has not been proven
- Remember that the primary goal of any treatment should be to help the person with ASD become a fully functioning member of society
- Beware of any programme that claims to be effective for all people with ASD
- Be cautious of programmes that do not allow individualisation
- Recognise that there are likely to be several suitable treatment options for each person with ASD
- Recognise that treatment choices should be based on the results of individual assessment
- Avoid treatment approaches that do not provide information on how to assess whether a person is suitable for that treatment
- Test out whether the treatment was effective by trying it for long enough (e.g. two months), complete appropriate questionnaires about the targeted behaviours/skills before and after treatment, tell no one when a treatment has started, and monitor the behaviour of the person with ASD making written notes
To identify services and professionals that may be of help to you, contact Altogether Autism (details below).
Every endeavour will be made to keep information on the Altogether Autism website current. However please let us know if there are any problems or inaccuracies. Likewise we would appreciate being informed of any services or professional that we have not identified.
Please contact us on:
Email – email@example.com
Freephone – 0800 ASD INFO 0800 273 463