We see advocacy in Life Unlimited arising from two values:
- Leadership – this is a commitment to lead innovative thinking and action. We do not always accept the status quo; we consider when and how best we can advocate and put forward alternatives which will lead to social change, to make things better for disabled people and disadvantaged people in our communities.
- Social Justice – this is a recognition that people and structures in our society disadvantage and disable people. We have a commitment to work so that people can be fully included in their community.
Objective – Our objective in advocacy is to seek to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
- Defend and safeguard their rights
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives
Therefore we use advocacy as a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns
- Access information and services
- Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
- Explore choices and options
Through Altogether Autism we are establishing our position as a reliable evidence-based source of information about anything to do with Autism. We have established and maintain very good relationships with the autistic community, we have and maintain a professional expert group and have on contract a clinical psychologist and a small research team.
Read our position papers on: