DO YOU IDENTIFY AS BEING AUTISTIC?
During June and July 2017, we posted three employment surveys online to learn more about the employment of autistic talent in New Zealand and to gather information about talented autistic adults ready to work in New Zealand.
“We all have gifts and talents that can shine if given the chance”
“We need someone to believe in us and take a chance”
At the end of the survey, respondents were asked their opinion on how organisations could make workplaces more supportive and autism friendly. The main suggestions were:
- Understanding, awareness and acceptance of autism
- Appreciation and recognition of special skills and talents that autistic people contribute to the workplace
- Providing workplace accommodations, i.e., managing lighting, noise etc. To improve comfort and productivity, providing a safe place for time out, compact and private office space etc.
- Adapting the interview process
- Flexible working hours
- Clear and direct instructions, providing written instruction instead of verbal
- Training for team leaders/supervisors to communicate clearly with the autistic employees
- Autism awareness training for the staff
- Non-judgemental, open minded attitude
- Matching the individual skill set to suitable jobs
Survey stage 1 closed
Thank you to those who applied. We are looking to partner with Specialisterne to facilitate careers in New Zealand, and will put a notice on this website when applications for the first positions are open.
Survey stage 1 closed – watch this site for stage 2
We are seeking talented autistic individuals who are looking for a job.
- We plan to work with some of New Zealand’s largest companies to help them hire autistic adults.
- We are particularly looking for individuals with skills in IT (including software development and testing), cyber security, data analytics, and records management.
- If you are interested in job opportunities in New Zealand, click here and tell us about yourself.
- The questionnaire will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Please complete the questionnaire by July 20.
- Please complete this survey if you are aged 18 years or older, identify as autistic, and live in New Zealand.
Altogether Autism has partnered with Specialisterne and developed three employment surveys to learn more about the employment of autistic talent in New Zealand and to gather information about talented autistic adults ready to work in New Zealand.
This information will help us enable jobs for autistic adults in New Zealand.
Or if you would like to know more, email us.